Liked by just about everyone, Gulab Jamun are lip-smacking sweet softballs with a delightful aroma and luscious taste. Prepared from flour, milk powder and milk, Gulab Jamun is very easy to prepare, but takes a little more time compared to other desserts, as it requires overnight dipping in sugar syrup.
# 1 cup Milk Powder
# 1/2 cup Pancake mix (Instead of Pancake mix, you may also substitute a 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1/2 tsp baking soda)
# 2 tablespoons butter -melted
# Whole milk (just enough to make the dough)
# 2 cups Sugar
# 1 cup water
# Oil (for frying)
1) Make the hot syrup, and keep it warm. To make the hot sugar syrup, mix the 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water. Add 4-5 cardamom pods, slightly crushed and a few strands of "Kesar". Mix with a spoon and then heat at medium heat for 5-10 minutes until sugar is all dissolved in water. Do not overheat (or else the sugar will caramelize).
2) Transfer this hot syrup into a serving dish. Keep warm on stove.
Prepare the dough by combining the milk powder, pancake mix and butter. Add just enough whole milk to make a medium-hard dough.
4) Divide the dough into 18-20 portions.
5) Make balls by gently rolling each of the portions between your palms into a smooth ball. Place the balls on a plate. Cover with a damp yet dry kitchen towel.
6) Heat the oil on high, then lower the heat to medium.
7) One by one, slip in the balls into the hot oil from the side of the pan. They will sink to the bottom of the pan, but you should not try to move them. Instead, gently shake the pan to keep the balls from browning on just one side.
8) After about 5 minutes, the balls will rise to the surface. If the temperature is just right, the Gulab Jamuns should rise slowly to the top. Now they must be gently and constantly agitated to ensure even browning on all sides.
9) If the temperature of the oil is too high then the gulab jamuns will tend to break. In order to prevent this, adjust the temperature to ensure that they do not break or cook too quickly.
10) The balls must be fried very slowly under medium temperatures. This will ensure complete cooking from inside, and even browning.
Place the fried gulab jamuns directly into the warm syrup.
12) Leave gulab jamuns in syrup overnight for best results.